Sunday, 21 November 2010

The worlds biggest cover up.

I was hanging around my house just thinking of the great famous love stories, and when talking about it with others there is always one that will strike the conversation, and thats the 'great' Romeo and Juliet by William shakespeare. I do not deny that is a classic and a well written play, I would however like to secure my right to freedom of speech and say that it is not a love story. I am by no means stating this to be the truth nor do I ask you to listen to my opinion at all, but thats what this is, my opinion, and only that.
William Shakespeare cunningly devised the biggest cover up in my words, and tackled something so controversial and forbidden for his time and even ours to date. He forged a love story to hide a suicide pact, one between two friends that were tired, crazed and annoyed with their society. They may very well have loved each other, but I doubt one could not live without the other. Being teenagers they merely wanted to rebel against everything they had been brought up and forced to believe, they wanted to make an impact, a difference and cause a stir. Being irrational, I don't think they thought it over properly, but nonetheless agreed that this would be what it took to change things, to end the family feud and to give hope for those of the future.
It could potentially have been seen as an act of selflessness but also selfishness considering the intense fighting that would follow the blame both families placed upon one another, the death and the pain.
Anyway my point once was that I don't find anything remotely romantic about Romeo and Juliet, a love story that ends in suicide is no love story at all; at least not to me. It brings with it no encouragement or hope for others.
Anyway I am well tired.
ciao

No comments:

Post a Comment